Monday, December 14, 2009

Navajo ranch lease process is overly complicated

I would like to bring the Navajo Nation's attention to a problem concerning the manner in which the Department of Agriculture is reallocating ranch leases on our Reservation. My family has been in the ranching business for five generations and continuing the legacy for my children and grandchildren is in jeopardy. I have operated and managed the family cattle business since the death of my father 14 years ago. In that time, I have taken my responsibilities as a steward of our land very seriously. I work diligently year around to produce the highest quality stock. In recent months, a lawsuit has been filed pertaining to a new ranch lease application process. I complied with the process, but it was not without difficulty. The ranch management plan that was required was horrendous to compile and write, so it is not a surprise that many older generation ranchers were unable to complete the process adequately. Unfortunately, many lost their family's ranching livelihood as a result of the new process, consequently the lawsuit. I was grateful to have my lease approved; although to my surprise it was temporary. My once-approved lease is now revoked and I have been notified that in March my legacy is up for auction to the highest bidder...read more

No comments: